Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pseudas - Filamented Beauties?

Just wondering this aloud: Do most pseudacanthicus species have lyretails/filaments? It's interesting because if that is the case, it will be a added bonus to pseuda lovers everywhere. Wouldn't it? Already they rank among the most beautiful plecos in terms of their streamlined body shape, beautiful colours, and a kick ass attitude. Add a lyretail in, and they must be heaven-sent! :)

I ask this because I do have a few specimens from different species, which have that long lyretail already there, or growing fast. I'm extremely attracted to lyretails admittedly, because they give the pleco an added dimension, like a ballet dancer holding streamers - poetry in motion! I did consider keeping plecos that are famed for their long filaments, such as L90, Adonis and L273, of which I now have the latter two. Having found that there was a shipment of L25s that came in 2006 with long filaments, I went out in search for them and found 4 to my liking. In addition, I now have a L24, L273 and L114 that have lyretails, or are developing one.

One fact I found about such specimens, is that perhaps due to the better genetics, when their lyretails break off, these often grows back, and at a faster rate than normal. Recently I have had 2 L25s and an Albino Adonis breaking their tails, and within a month, they've recovered almost 1-2 inches of tail!

No comments: